LG G Flex Review: Curves Are In



When the smartphones were first introduced, they used to be boxy bulky devices with a long antenna in the front. However, over the period of time, they have become slicker and thinner. There is no dearth of manufactures looking to squeeze the smartphones even further and here we have LG that has come out with a curved smartphone in the form of LG G Flex.
Not only does the smartphone have an arc-like shape but even the physical buttons of LG G Flex are placed on the back (much like the LG G 2). As LG is one of the early movers in the curved mobile space (the other being Samsung, offering the Galaxy Round, which however is not available in India as of now), you will have to shell out a whopping Rs. 66,900 to bring home this smartphone.



So let us find out if there is really a utility in the curved design that LG is offering and whether we should be spending nothing less than a fortune to buy the LG G Flex.

What is it?
A huge phone with unique design and a hefty price tag.

Who is it for?
People who have large hands (and pockets). In addition, it will also appease people who look for new innovative things every few months.

Design
As soon as I took the LG G Flex out of the box, I was completely taken aback by its size. The smartphone has a 6-inch Curved POLED screen. It is difficult to hold the smartphone with one hand, leave along use it. In addition, I also found it difficult to slip the smartphone in my jeans pocket.

Even when I did manage to get the smartphone to fit in the jeans, I could still feel it protruding out and its weight. Also, the back buttons did take me some time getting used to of.

Now on to the good part, the back surface of the LG G Flex is self healing. Though I did not try and scrape it with keys or finger nails but even after using the smartphone for a month, I found that there were practically no scars and scratches on it back.

All the while that I was using the LG G Flex, I was scared that I might accidently break the device, but it is deceptively durable.

Using it

As per LG, the curved screen is supposed to make calls clearer and holding your phone against the curve of your cheek more comfortable. However, I always found that people at the other end found it hard to hear me and I had to resort to using the earplugs for my long (gossip) calls.



Moreover, holding this large phone was not just awkward but also tiring! Don't get me wrong; it is not a heavy device but it is large. None of my casual calls are less than 30 minutes and all this while I had to hold this six-inch device in one position and that made my hand ache.

Typing on LG G Flex, when the phone was lying on my desk using both my hands was fun.

The Flex is also running a build of Jelly Bean that is completely out of date - Android 4.2.2, which came out all the way back in the days of 2012. Adding to it, the OS is also bogged down with LG's proprietary apps, which you don't really need.

That being said, the LG G Flex packs in a decent power, thanks to its Snapdragon 800 processor. There was no lag playing games or multitasking.



The only thing I truly loved about this smartphone was its battery backup. On a single charge, I was able to get nearly two-days juice.

Talking about the camera, the G Flex's 13MP rear camera is pretty decent. It's fast enough, it's good enough, but it does not stand out above any other of its Android rivals.

Like

- Durability and self-healing back
- Amazing battery backup.

No Like

- In a smartphone that is worth 67K, we at least expect to get a FULL HD display.
- Saying that LG G Flex is huge is an understatement. Using it with one hand was a task in it self.

Should I Buy it?
LG G Flex is a decent smartphone but in my opinion, it is highly overpriced. Also, I don't really see any real advantage of having a curved smartphone over the usual slab devices that we now have.

LG G Flex Specs

OS: Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)
CPU: 2.26 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800
Screen: 6-inch 1280 x 720 Curved POLED, Real RGB, 245 ppi
RAM: 2GB
Storage: 32GB
Camera: 13 MP rear / 2.1 MP front
Battery: 3500 mAh Li-Po battery
Dimensions: 6.31 x 3.21 x 0.31/0.34 inches
Weight: 6.2 ounces
Price: Rs. 66,900
 
Top